by Rev. Mel White, co-founder of Soulforce
A Biblical response to the question people often ask… "How can you consider yourself a Christian when you are also gay?"
In this 24-page booklet, Mel White puts forward these eight premises:
- Most people have not carefully and prayerfully researched the Biblical texts used by some people to condemn God’s lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender children.
- Historically, people’s misinterpretation of the Bible has left a trail of suffering, bloodshed, and death.
- We should be open to new truth from Scripture. Even heroes of the Christian faith have changed their minds about the meaning of various Biblical texts.
- The Bible is a book about God. The Bible is not a book about human sexuality.
- We miss what these passages say about God when we spend so much time debating what they say about sex.
- The Biblical authors are silent about homosexual orientation as we know it today. They neither approve it nor condemn it.
- The prophets, Jesus, and the Biblical authors say nothing about homosexual orientation as we understand it today. But, they are clear about this one thing. As we search for truth, we are to "Love one another."
- Whatever some people believe the Bible seems to say about homosexuality, they must not use that belief to deny homosexuals their basic civil rights. To discriminate against sexual or gender minorities is unjust and un-American.
You can download a PDF file of What the Bible Says, and Doesn’t Say, about Homosexuality.
What the Bible Says, and Doesn’t Say, about Homosexuality is available as a HTML version.
The spanish version of What the Bible Says, and Doesn’t Say, about Homosexuality is now available as a free PDF download.
Order Hard Copies Online
You can order hard copies of What the Bible Says, and Doesn’t Say, about Homosexuality for $3.00 per copy from the Soulforce Store.
Order Hard Copies by Mail
Indicate the number of copies needed and send $3.00 per booklet to:
PO Box 3195
Lynchburg, VA 24503
For inquires about discounted bulk orders (more than 50 copies) please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.